Ahi tuna and Avocado Sashimi Bowls


Dear readers, I have something to admit.

You know how my blog is called Cindy likes avocados?
Well,  I haven't had an avocado in nearly 3 months. Yes, 3 months.

After prices rose to $6 each, I simply could not afford them anymore.  It has been a difficult time for me, and the blog, but I have managed to cope it through, with the support of close family and friends and the virtues of patience and self control.

Our nation, New Zealand, has been suffering from a national avocado shortage over the past few months. Even NZ avocado chief executive Jen Scoular admits there has been a small crop harvest this season.  The total crop year was 7.1 million trays whereas this year it is only 3.8 million trays. People were even committing crimes over the avocado shortage, stealing as many as 350 avocados at a time!

However, I am very happy to inform you that as of today, this dark era of misery is now behind us. Avocado prices have returned to a very affordable $3 each, or 2 for $5, and a good crop harvest is expected for late July.

Finally, I am happy again.



To celebrate this new avocado season, I have some delicious avocado recipes lined up. Today I will be sharing with you Ahi tuna and Avocado sashimi bowl. This is a delicious dish inspired by Hawaii's poke that is fresh, light and extremely flavourful. It is similar to poke and I find it absolutely addicitve.  The creaminess of the avocado paired with the fatty, melt-in your mouth ahi tuna, combined with a beautiful japanese marinade, topped with crunchy seaweed, is just amaaaaaaazing.

I hope you give this recipe a try, the flavour combinations really are divine. That's all for now.

More avocado recipes next time!
Cindy

Ahi tuna and Avocado Sashimi Bowl
Serves 2

For the "poke":
1 200g piece of Sashimi-Grade ahi tuna
1 avocado
handful of finely chopped spring onion
1-2 tbs japanese soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp rice vinegar
salt, to taste
1 tsp black sesame seeds

For the cucumber sumono salad:
1 small cucumber
small handful of finely chopped spring onion
salt
1 tsp rice vinegar

For the rest:
Toasted nori sheets, edamame beans with kimchi and miso soup (on the side), to serve.

1. Slice tuna sashimi into bite-sized cubed pieces and dice avocado into small cubes.
2. Add all poke ingredients in a bowl and marinate for 5-10 minutes.
3. Chop cucumber thinly and season it with salt. Wait for 5 minutes before squeezing out excess water. Add rice vinegar and mix with spring onion to combine.
4. Assemble the bowls. Choose two beautiful, medium sized bowls with a bit of depth. Divide poke and cucumber salad between each bowl. Add toasted nori sheets and a handful of defrosted edamame beans to each bowl. Serve with kimchi/pickles and instant miso soup on the side. I also served some roasted macadamias on the side, because apparently that's what they eat on poke in Hawaii.






0 comments:

 

About me

Hi I'm Cindy.