Summer Bircher + breakfast rituals

(Coconut mik bircher+pomegranates, kiwifruit, banana and strawberry topping)
My favourite meal of the day is breakfast. The air is still crisp and cool, the sun is rising and you have just begun your day. I love to read a magazine or the newspaper, sit in a nice spot and enjoy a bowl of goodness. I know these days it is hard to imagine breakfast as anything else other than a rushed bowl of cereal or a piece of toast. I think it is important to have a good breakfast, it sets me off on a good start to my day and helps me feel calm and content with myself. There is something incredibly calming about sitting down with a bowl of creamy oatmeal after a morning run and appreaciating the ritual-like flavour it brings to my tastebuds. We should enjoy breakfast and have fun.

These days I've been making a Bircher-like breakfast that I top with yoghurt, fruits and freshly roasted nuts. It's simple, yet so delicious. You can change it every day depending on what fruits you have and what nuts and seeds you have in the pantry.

This isn't a recipe, it's an idea.


























(Bircher topped with sheep milk yogurt, toasted almonds, strawberry, kiwifruit and banana)
Summer Bircher
Serves 1

Base
1/3 cup old fashioned oats
1 date
1 tsp chia seeds
2/3 cup coconut milk, almond milk or cow's milk
1 tbs of seeds (pumpkin, sunflower)
Drop of vanilla extract
Spices to preference (cinnamon or cardamom are nice)

Toppings
Thick Greek style yoghurt ( I use sheep yoghurt)
1/2 Apple
Seasonal fruits ( I use berries, kiwi fruit, banana and pomegranate )
Handful of nuts and seeds (toast in microwave for 2 minutes, then crush )
Honey

The night before:
Tear date into small pieces. Mix base ingredients together in a jar and place in fridge overnight.

The next morning :
Slice Apple into matchstick thin pieces, or dice into small cubes. Stir through the Bircher. Place Bircher in a bowl, top with a dollop of yoghurt. Chop and arrange fruits. Scatter over toasted nuts and seeds, whatever. Drizzle a little honey if you want. A dollop of nut butter is also a nice addition. Eat.



1 comments:

Raewyn849 said...

I've got to try this for breakfast!

 

About me

Hi I'm Cindy.