Blueberry cashew coconut bars

Verdict: Short random post today, but great recipe.



What is this? I don't know, but it sure is yummy. and it's really good for you.
I was reading donna hay's fresh and light issue 2, and I came across the recipe for the passionfruit coconut slice. I thought it looked amazing, but I wondered if it would be even better if I took away the passionfruit topping, added melted dark chocolate and topped that with toasted coconut and almonds instead. I then realised how great it would be if I folded some berries into the batter, and how smooth  the slice would be if I soaked the cashews overnight. Soaking nuts gives a smoother texture and activates healthy enzymes for easier digestion, increases absorption of nutrients and removes anti-nutrients.


Ok.

I know I sound a bit random, but the point is, I want to thank the donna hay magazine for inspiring me to be able to make something that is not only yummy, but also quite healthy for you, or as some say: "guilt free". Not that you should ever feel guilty about anything you consciously choose to do. Life is too short for regrets.


Anyway, I have  this recipe for you. It is a delicious summer treat and I even had it for breakfast, it's just nuts and coconut and stuff! So I think it's great. The crust is crunchy with a hint of lemon, the filling is indulgently silky and smooth with berries dotted inside to give a burst of tartness and the dark chocolate drizzle with the coconut almond topping is just the grand finale.

So I do hope you give this recipe a try and have a nice day :)

Recipe:
Cashew coconut bars with dark chocolate coconut crunch (I hate this long name)
how about just: CCB with DCC





Filling:
1/2 cup of cashews, soaked overnight
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup coconut oil melted
1/3 cup shredded coconut
juice of half a lemon
2 tbs honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup berries (I use blueberries but you can really use any)

Crust:
1/2 cup shredded coconut, toasted*
1/2 cup cashews, toasted *
1 tbs honey
2-3 tbs coconut oil
1 tsp lemon zest
pinch of salt

Topping:
1/3 cup 70% dark chocolate, roughly broken into chunks (use whittakers if you are in NZ)
handful of coconut toasted*
handful of almonds  toasted *

* An easy way to toast nuts and coconut is to chuck it on a plate and microwave it for 2 minutes. Trust me, nobody can be bothered to get a frying pan out or turn on an oven just to toast nuts.

1. Line a 10x10 glass container/baking dish with parchment paper.
2. Place crust ingredients into food processor and blitz into small particles. Start with 2 tbs of coconut oil for the crust, and add another tablespoon if the crust doesn't seem to be coming together.
3. Pour crust ingredients into baking dish and press down firmly with a spoon. This is the crust so make sure it is crusty! Freeze for 10-20 minutes until well set.
4. Meanwhile, place all filling ingredients except for berries into food processor. There is no need to clean the food processor out.   Fold in berries, and pour filling mixture on top of the crust.
6. Let the bar chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours until set.
7. When bar is set, remove from container and place on a flat surface. Melt the dark chocolate, I place the dark chocolate in a bowl and set it on top of a small pot of boiling water. Drizzle bar with dark chocolate and top with toasted coconuts and almonds. Drizzle bar with dark chocolate again.
8. Done! Top with some edible flowers if you are looking to Instagram/give it that extra hipster touch. Store in freezer and let it  sit at room temperature for a few minutes before consuming.




0 comments:

 

About me

Hi I'm Cindy.