Best Chocolate Chip Cookies (Searching for the best)

Hey !
Have you ever wanted to make a really nostalgic, comfort food recipe and you just want to get the best recipe out there?
There are 25,400,000 search results out there on google and you know what that means...
It's a hard time choosing which one. Furthermore, did you know there is actually science behind chocolate chip cookies? People actually do test experiments on them.  Check this link out, it's actually really interesting....(http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2013/12/the-food-lab-the-best-chocolate-chip-cookies.html)
(http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/09/04/345530660/the-science-behind-baking-your-ideal-chocolate-chip-cookie)

Which is why I have decided to do a recipe war. After carefully hand selecting the best recipes from the best, (the ones with hundreds of mainly positive comments), I have chosen to battle Martha Stewart with Smitten kitchen. Personally, I prefer soft, chewy cookies, so I might chill the dough beforehand.
Guys, I know, this is my procrastination, I spend the years of my youth testing out chocolate chip cookie recipes when I should be doing other things. But who cares ?

In the duration of two weeks, I'll test both recipes out, eat them, and decide on the best one. I know this doesn't sound like the most accurate experiment, but to be truthful, I'll have fun.. (and lots of sugar).



Martha's Recipe 
http://www.marthastewart.com/344840/soft-and-chewy-chocolate-chip-cookies?search_key=soft%20and%20chewy%20chocolate%20chip%20cookie


  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups (about 12 ounces) semisweet and/or milk chocolate chips


Review:
Taste:
These were very soft, and sweet, however, I would have preferred a bit of chew and crunch as a contrast to the texture. I also would have liked it to have a bit more flavour, however, the chocolate chip cookie taste was definitely there.  I reduced the white sugar from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup and they were still a little bit sweet for my taste.  These cookies tasted good with a glass of cold milk, however, all I could taste was sugar, and the texture was not very interesting, so they definitely are not amazing. Without milk, the cookies tasted a bit dry.
Baking process:
My egg and butter mixture looked a bit grainy, and the dough seemed a bit too moist. I did taste the cookie dough, it was ok, but a little too sweet. Normally I love to sneak in bits of cookie dough, but this time I could control myself.
Rating out of 10
6.5 /10


All Recipes Best Big Fat Chewy Chocolate chip Cookie
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Best-Big-Fat-Chewy-Chocolate-Chip-Cookie/Detail.aspx

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup scant (a little less than) brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

These were amazing! I could eat them warm from the oven for the rest of my life! Is it OK to eat cookies for breakfast? because if it is, I'm definitely having these.  I added a little less chocolate chips and reduced the sugar quantity from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup and they were just right. These were slightly crunchy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. I had them with a cold glass of milk as well, and I thoroughly enjoyed every bite. I would under-bake them a little bit more, as I prefer a gooeier texture. I would also use less chocolate chips, as I find the chocolate chip to cookie ratio was a little unbalanced, and I would preferred to have some more dough instead. I used some of the dough to make white chocolate macadamia cookies, and they were pretty terrific as well.

Baking process:
The one major difference between this cookie recipe and Martha Stewart's is Martha's softened her butter and creams it with her sugar whereas All Recipes melts the butter and mixes it with sugar and eggs. 

Rating out of 10
9/10

Conclusion:
It's pretty obvious, but all recipe's cookies won. They were chewier and a little crunchier, yet still incredibly soft and gooey. The All recipes cookie had a little less sugar, although they both called for 1 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup white, Martha's recipe asked for the brown sugar to be firmly packed whereas All recipe's asked for the brown sugar to be loosely packed, and a little less than 1 cup.
Melting the butter resulted in a much smoother mixture, whereas creaming the butter resulted in a much more grainier and slightly suspicious mixture. (However, I could have been creaming butter that was a little too hard). Scientifically speaking, this isn't exactly a fair test, as I have a lot of variables I need to control, but I did use the same quality ingredients, and I followed both recipes extremely carefully.
I would recomend you give the All recipes cookie recipe a try, you won't regret it! If you cannot consume an entire batch in a few days, I would recommend you freeze the cookie dough into portioned out balls.




0 comments:

 

About me

Hi I'm Cindy.