Baking with edmonds

I have a three week holiday, so I have decided to do some baking. I have been trying our some recipes from the "Edmond's Cookery Book". If you live in New Zealand, you will know that this cookbook is a national icon. The first edition was published in 1908 by Thomas Edmonds, a guy who sold baking powder. Thomas Edmonds produced this cookery book to help promote his baking powder product, along with the slogan "Sure to Rise". I love this cookery book, sparked an interest for me in retro and old fashioned recipes. It is quite disappointing how old recipes seem to be tossed aside and forgotten to make way for new trends and convenience.  I made devilled eggs a few days ago and they were delicious! While I ate them, I thought to myself, why don't people make these anymore?

In the old days, people had less diseases and health issues, they ate everything in moderation and they cooked everything from scratch. These days, we buy our identical looking bread from the supermarket, we eat cookies and muffins filled with strange preservatives and flavourings, and all our snacks come packaged in plastic. In the past, nobody really worried about being "healthy" or loosing weight, everyone just ate and enjoyed their food. These days, we stuff food into our mouthes without really enjoying the taste or texture, we worry constantly about the amount of food we eat and how it will affect our appearance, suddenly diets like paleo, raw vegan, 8:2, intermit fasting become extremely popular. I believe that diets won't work, to be healthy, you just need to eat natural, nutritious foods and indulge yourself occasionally.

Home baked goods taste better than store bought foods. This is a fact that will never change. Home baked goods are fresh, they use higher quality ingredients than what a factory would use, they are healthier and they are much more delightful to eat, as you know you have made it using your heart and soul. They may not look perfect, but trust me, there is nothing better than eating a cookie warm from the oven with a cold glass of milk. If you are a beginner, I would recomend trying out some recipes from the Edmonds cookery book. The recipes have survived for more than a 100 years, so they all extremely trustworthy and guarantee good results.  Here are some of the recipes I have tried, I have included some notes on how I have adapted them:

Oaty apple loaf Pg 34
I have to admit, this loaf is better cold than warm, with some butter. I underbaked this one a little, but it turned out fine. I changed this recipe quite a bit, but I am sure I have kept the spirit. Instead of 1 cup brown sugar, I used 2/3 cup maple syrup. I reduced the water from 1 cup to 3/4 cup. Instead of plain flour I used white spelt flour. I couldn't be bothered grating the apples, so I diced them into small chunks. They gave the loaf some texture.


Honey oat biscuits Pg 42
Slightly crumbly but sweet interior, these are extremely more -ish


Savoury Cheese muffins Pg 35
I didn't add celery or capsicum. I cooked some spinach, squeezed out the extra moisture, and combined it with feta cheese, instead of tasty shredded. I used spelt flour instead of all purpose flour.
These muffins were delicious, warm with some butter.

Pikelets Pg 34
Piklets are like pancakes, but denser and sweeter. I enjoyed them thoroughly with a squeeze of lemon and icing sugar.

Here is my adapted recipe for Honey oat biscuits, they are really delicious!

Honey oat Biscuits
Adapted from edmonds cookery book

125g butter, softened
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 heaped tablespoon honey
1 cup plain flour/white spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup oats
1/2 cup shredded coconut
handful of almonds/walnuts

Preheat oven to 180 C
Cream butter, sugar and honey together. Sift in flour and baking powder into butter mixture. Using a spatula, combine well with cinnamon. Fold in oats, coconut and nuts. Roll mixture into small balls, place on a baking sheet with lined parchment paper. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden. Cool, then enjoy.



0 comments:

 

About me

Hi I'm Cindy.