French toast my way (Vanilla flavoured with a ricotta and mascarpone filling)

I love those recipes that taste soooo good and look so fancy and yet they are so easy to make.
It makes me feel good because I feel like I have accomplished something worth admiration yet, I didn't even try that hard!

Which is why I present to all those people out there who are regulary falling back on toast
and instant noodles because nothing ever seems to work for them....

French toast!
(The plaited bread in the background is created from a recipe from another blog, so I can't post about it, but I will include a link to it in another blog)


French toast doesn't really require a recipe recipe, it's one of those things you'll get the hang of, like brushing your teeth or having a shower (well, maybe it's not that simple). But because it doesn't have a strict recipe, you can get creative with it and do it they way you want.

I stuffed my french toast with mascarpone and ricotta, if you find that a bit too indulgent/expensive (sorry!). But I tell you, once those two will melt into a creamy, glorious mess it will taste so good you will cry. (Well, not that intense but it really is worth it) You can always stuff your sandwhich with peanut butter and banana, nutella or almond butter. It's really up to you in the end, how you like it!

Anyway....
You will need:
(This serves one by the way but can easily be doubled)
1 egg
a splash of milk (for those who really need measurements for a sense of security (2-3 tbs)
2 slices of bread (I chose wholemeal) but you can go with sourdough, challah or brioche
1/4 tsp vanilla essence 
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3 tbs butter 
1/4 cup ricotta (fluffy, fresh cheese)
2 tbs mascarpone (soft, italian style cream cheese)
few grates of lemon zest (again, for ones who need measurements, 1 tsp)
half a banana sliced
Granola, maple syrup/honey/more butter to serve



1. Spread both slices of bread with 2 tbs butter. Mix together ricotta, mascarpone and lemon zest.
2.Spread ricotta mixture on top of one slice of bread. Scatter with bananas and drizzle with honey.
3. Place the other slice of bread on top like a sandwich. Then, mix together milk, egg, cinnamon and vanilla essence in a flat bowl.
4. Dip your sandwich (potential french toast) in bowl for 45 secounds to one minute on each side.
5.Meanwhile, heat your 1 tbs butter in a pan. Get a large spatula ready (it's extremely useful to have one, it makes flipping really easy)
6. Once butter is blubbering, place bread onto pan and make sure your heat is on medium low. This is important as otherwise the outside of the french toast will be too burnt and the inside will be still raw and eggy. believe me.... it is disgusting
7. Cook french toast on both sides until golden. The outside should be buttery and crisp and the inside should be creamy and like a custard. I really cant give a time on how long each side, you'll have to peek and check. Remember: when you flip, don't be scared....
8. When french toast is done, scoop it out onto a plate and top with toppings and eat.  I topped with sage and extra ricotta mixture. Nom Nom Nom..... 

Hope you enjoy! (My recipie may seem a bit long but it really isn't... Try it!)




0 comments:

 

About me

Hi I'm Cindy.